The Technical Writer will be responsible for leading the creation and maintenance of documentation for third-party application developers to Kensu projects.
As a Technical Writer:
- Guide the creation and maintenance of the Data Activity Manager (DAM) for third-party developers, contributing to its vision, writing content for it, and organizing contributions from Kensu teams and customers.
- Identify and focus on critical areas of Kensu (GitHub, google docs) and other developer documentation that needs improvement, and ensure those areas are clear, accurate, up-to-date, and fulfill the goal of supporting the developer community
- Absorb knowledge from seasoned developers, and ensure the most important information is readily available to newcomers in a comprehensive and concise format
- Collaborate with the engineering team, product owner, and others to choose a topic focus
- Create appropriate diagrams and illustrations to improve readability and clarity of the product
- Lead discussions and processes to develop documentation guidelines and make documentation related technology decisions and recommendations
- Communicate widely and frequently to a remote audience of staff via e-mail, Slack, video conference, in-person meetings, and wikis/gist/git
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 5 years of combined professional+volunteer technical writing experience
- 3 years experience in technical writing for Scala or Java software projects
- 3 years of experience writing on data governance
- 2 years of experience contributing to and participating in free software/open source projects
- Proven effectiveness collaborating with engineers, demonstrating the ability to understand and explain complicated technical issues
- Demonstrated ability to create clear and compelling visual diagrams
- Creative and highly motivated to serve the customer
- Experience working with and writing for diverse, international companies
- Comfortable in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment
- Strong research skills (as there will not be developer support for some of the issues that need to be documented)
- Experience on GDPR or data regulation projects
- Experience with remote working
- Ability to speak multiple languages is a major plus
- The ideal candidate will be creative, highly motivated, and able to operate effectively in multiple cultural contexts.